Have you seen those long stripes or streaks on your skin? When you touch them, you will feel an indentation on the skin. These marks won’t cause you any pain but it would be itchy sometimes especially if these are just starting to appear. Well, we all know that these are called stretch marks.
Stretch marks usually appear when you gain weight. For women, it is common during and after pregnancy. Although these marks are annoying, they don’t cause any medical problems or health risks.
Many people complaint about having stretch marks, especially among pregnant women and adolescents. These long scars on the skin can be bothersome and annoying, but the good thing about them is that they do not cause any medical problems. Usually, these appear on the stomach, hips, breasts, upper arms, lower back, buttocks, and thighs.
Most stretch marks will slowly fade but there are some who wants to minimize their appearance. Women who wear a bikini, shorts and crop tops would want to get rid of these marks since these are branded as imperfections by many. Others feel less confident because of their stretch marks especially when it is summer time and swimsuits are in!
Although others don’t do anything with their stretch marks, some people would use ointments, essential oils, and other topicals in an attempt to get rid of it or reduce its color. There is nothing wrong about having that desire to remove stretch marks. You can just go ahead and do something about it especially if it is making you feel down!
So if you are one of those people who is looking for solutions to reduce stretch marks, we have collated the top 8 best stretch marks based on their effectiveness and overall quality. For sure, you will be able to pick one from the list which can help you solve your problem.
#1 StretchWhiz Stretch Mark Therapy Cream
StretchWhiz Stretch Mark Therapy is clinically tested and proven as a great stretch mark cream. It is made with patented ingredients that work together to make the skin look suppler and more nourished. The product’s formulation gets rid of stretch marks from deep within. However, we have to bear in mind that results may vary from person to person.
Aside from eliminating stretch marks, the skin will also benefit from the ingredients of the product. Its formulation underwent clinical studies to make sure that they will effectively work well on the skin. The ingredients, when blended together, create natural elastin and helps in the collagen production on the skin. To use it, simply apply the cream on the affected area and give it some time to be absorbed on the skin.
It has a triple-acting formula delivering three major benefits on every application. These includes:
- It delves deep into the skin to help diminish the appearance of stretch marks.
- It provides essential nutrients and emollients that keep the skin healthy and moisturized
- It has powerful antioxidants that protect the skin cells from damage.
Apart from this, this hypoallergenic and ph balanced cream is free from harsh chemicals since it is made from all-natural, vegan anti-stretch ingredients. It is gentle to the skin and can even be used by people with sensitive skin.
The superior formulation of the product gives significant improvement on the skin for as short as 4 weeks. With prolonged use, you can see a huge difference in your stretch marks as it reacts to the cream.
Each of the active ingredients of the StretchWhiz Stretch Mark Therapy had undergone studies. This proves their effectiveness in reducing the appearance of stretch marks or in getting rid of it.
Its ingredients include Avocado Oil, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Horsetail Extract, Gotu Kola Extract, Arnica Montana Extract, Chamomile Extract, Oat Kernel Flour, and Vitamin B.
#2 Skinception Stretch Mark Therapy
Skinception Intensive Stretch Mark Therapy has been scientifically formulated through a series of clinically proven active ingredients. It smoothes and diminishes the appearance of stretch marks and scars which are commonly a result of pregnancy, weight gain, weight loss, surgery, and growth spurts.
The cream works by beginning with your skin’s extracellular matrix where it will repair the skin by restoring elasticity, boosting collagen synthesis, and stopping inflammatory reactions before stretch marks become visible. It will also dramatically reduce discoloration caused by the stretch marks. Prolonged use will result in evened skin tone, smoothed striations, and deep furrows, and of course, faded stretch marks.
The Skinception Intensive Stretch Mark Therapy doesn’t just hide stretch marks. It actually gets rid of them. Its benefits include the reduction of stretch marks by up to 72.5%, fast results which will be visible in just 4 weeks, and fading stretch marks regardless of its cause or origin. It also works on both light and dark skin as well as on old and new stretch marks.
Regestril, Darutoside, Pro-Sveltyl, Pro-Coll-One+ , Beta Glucan, Nelumbo Nucifera Leaf Extract , Rutin, Phytoceramides, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Phaseolus Lunatus (Green Bean) Extract, Siegesbeckia Orientalis Extract, Hydrolyzed Soybean Fiber, Panthenol, Sodium Lactate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Stearyl Alcohol, Allantoin, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, and Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Oil.
#3 Revitol Stretch Mark Cream
Revitol Stretch Mark Prevention Cream is formulated in order to increase the natural collagen production of the body as well as to restore the elasticity of the skin. These are crucial to prevent stretch marks, especially during pregnancy. The cream works best in preventing stretch marks. However, there are also users who claimed that it helped them get rid of their marks within just a few weeks.
It can cure stretch marks within 2 to 6 weeks because of its very powerful formula in speeding up skin cell regeneration. It also helps boost the production of collagen and elastin which makes the tissues firm and elastic. It works well with any type of stretch marks regardless of how it is formed.
This cream is also made with 100% natural ingredients making it suitable to all skin types. In addition to its ability to reduce stretch marks, it can also help diminish wrinkles.
Squalene oil, Vitamin E, DL-panthenol, Aloe Vera extract, Grapefruit seed extract, Vitamin A and Vitamin D3, DL – Panthenol, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin,Caprylic triglyceride, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Allantoin, Potassium sorbate,Sodium benzoate, Carbomer and emulsifier from vegetables.
#4 TriLASTIN-SR Maximum Strength Stretch Mark Cream
TriLASTIN-SR Maximum Strength Stretch Mark Cream is known for its fast healing time. While other creams can heal stretch marks in 4 weeks, this product can do it in as little as 3 weeks. This is made possible because of the Hydro-Thermal Accelarator, a formula containing vitamins and antioxidants, that can help cure the skin much faster. The ingredients of the cream deeply penetrate the skin leading to fast and effective treatment of the stretch marks.
TriLastin contains a special, paraben-free formula designed to help reduce the appearance of stretch marks no matter how deep it is. This product also contains a time-release formula called the Sequenced Diffusion Delivery System (SDDS®) which releases the key ingredients in a sequenced manner, allowing you to stay hydrated far better. This also stimulates collagen and elastin production for a longer period of time.
This cream can deliver visible results in as little as 3 weeks, which is faster compared to other products. It also has a sustained release technology making it more effective. People of all skin types and colors can use this Paraben-free and hypoallergenic cream to treat stretch marks. It is also unscented and non-greasy. It is safe for use for pregnant and nursing women. However, it comes with a high price tag.
Zea Mays (Corn) Kernel Extract, BeauPlex VH, Hydromanil H.GL, D-Stria, BVOSC, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Elastin, Collagen, Active Soy Protein, Vitamin
#5 Botanic Tree Stretch Marks Cream
Botanic Tree Stretch Marks Cream has a proven track record of reducing and preventing stretch marks and scars. It brings intense hydration and deliver better results after two months of use. It works well for pregnant women who wants to preven stretch marks. It is perfectly safe for expecting mothers as belly butter. Those who experienced dramatic weight changes can also use this cream.
The key ingredient of this product is the Centella Asiatica. Studies indicate that creams containing this develops 34% fewer stretch marks and it indicates prevention of stretch marks in pregnant women.
The product prevents and reduces scars and stretch marks. It is formulated to deliver intense hydration and is perfect for all skin types before, during, and even after pregnancy. It is also good for people who experience abrupt weight loss or weight gain. It contains 100% organic extracts which are gentle to the skin.
Fractionated Coconut Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerides Cetearyl Alcohol , Octyl Palmitate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Cetearyl Glucoside Cera Alba, Butylene Glycol , Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Esters, Protein, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (and) Aloe Barbadensis Persea Gratissima (Avocado), Hyaluronic Acid, Centella Asiatica Extract, Galactoarabinan, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)Phenoxyethanol and Ethylhexylglycerin Fragrance, Sclerotium Gum, Olive oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Xanthan Gum, Moringa, and Water
#6 Body Merry Stretch Marks & Scars Defense Cream
Body Merry Stretch Marks & Scars Defense Cream helps to reduce and prevent the appearance of scars and stretch marks by firming and moisturizing the skin. It contains a customized blend of high quality and natural ingredients which delivers intense hydration and provide protection to the skin.
The cream is good for both smooth and rough skin. It also provides skin with relief. Its ingredients result in a gentle and powerful remedy to prevent dark marks, keloids, surgery scars or stretch marks.
Despite its rich texture, it can easily be spread and absorbed by the skin. This product is good for people who are working out at the gym, fighting against rough skin and blemishes, and even for pregnant women. Its prime ingredients work together to tighten and lighten the appearance of any dark marks delivering maximum skin care. It smells rich cocoa and shea butter with no added fragrance. Since it is tested safe, it will not cause any irritation to all skin types. The product contains all natural ingredients and gentle formulas.
Shea butter, antioxidants, organic Aloe Vera, Green Tea extract, Seaweed extract, organic sunflower oil, Vitamins E, C, B3 + B5 & rich oils
#7 Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy Cream
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy Cream is an effective stretch mark cream which is perfect for pregnant women. Expecting moms can use it starting the second semester of pregnancy even after giving birth. It is also safe for nourishing moms which means you can use it for a prolonged period until you get the results that you want. Users reveal that their stretch marks were reduced within 12 weeks.
Although it takes longer before seeing results, this product is cheaper compared to other brands but it can still do wonders to your skin. This lightweight cream leaves your skin feeling super hydrated while reducing the appearance of stretch marks and of existing scars.
It reduces skin discolouration and replenishes skin hydration. It doesn’t come with a high price tag and is effective even for pregnant women. It is soft and silky which feels great on the skin. Since it is recommended for pregnant and nursing women, it contains no overtly harmful ingredients.
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Allium Cepae (Onion) Bulb Extract, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Arachidyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Ethoxydiglycol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Fragrance, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Asiaticoside Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, , Asiatic Acid, Madecassic Acid, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, and Iron Oxides
#8 Deux Dermè Stretch Mark Intensive
Deux Dermè Stretch Mark Intensive is packed with more than 18 ingredients that moisturize, revitalize, and diminish the appearance of stretch marks. This formula is perfect for both men and women since it literally helps fade the appearance of stretch marks when regularly used.
This is good if you are getting rid of smaller stretch marks since it comes in 1 ounce bottles. It would be enough to cover scars on your thighs or arms.
It is free of Parabens, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, Hydroquinone, DEA, DHA, Benzoyl Peroxide, SLS, Retinols, Salicylic Acid, and Benzoyl Peroxide. Because of this, it is safe for both the pregnant mother and the developing baby. Instead of using water, it is concentrated with active natural ingredients.
Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Acai Oil, Cocoa seed Butter, Sunflower Seed Extract, Peptides, Plant Stem Cell Extracts, Resveratrol, and others.
What are Stretch Marks
It is easy to check if you have stretch marks. These are long, narrow streaks, stripes, or lines that develop on the skin. This is a common condition and it usually appear on the skin when it is suddenly stretched. Although anyone can develop stretch marks, it is more prevalent in women than in men. It usually occurs in women during pregnancy.
Stretch marks can be seen in various parts of the body including the thighs, hips, stomach, upper arms, lower back, and breasts. This happens when the skin undergoes a period of intense growth like during pregnancy, weight loss, puberty, or weight gain.
These scars are also called striae, striae atrophicans, striae distensae (SD), and striae gravidarum. Although it is not physically dangerous, it may result to problems with self-image and it becomes a significant cosmetic concern.
Signs and Symptoms
Generally, stretch marks do not produce any symptoms but it is easy to determine if you are having one due to its characteristic visual appearance. Before a stretch marks appear, there are initially raised pink to purple lines that are longitudinally arranged over the affected body part. It may feel itchy or irritating.
Then this mark will develop into silvery lines on the skin which is very similar to a scar. The raised streaks will turn dark brown, red, pink, purple, or reddish-brown depending on your skin color. Purplish-pink scars are called striae rubra while the silvery streaks are termed striae albae. Dark-brown lines in people with dark complexion are called striae nigrae.
Once formed, stretch marks are permanent but these may become less noticeable gradually. However, it would take years before that happens.
Why Do Stretch Marks Appear
Stretch marks appear due to the stretching of the skin and the increase of cortisone in your body’s system. Corstisone, which is a hormone naturally produced by the adrenal glands, results in your skin’s lose of elasticity when there is too much of it in the body.
Normally, the connecting fibers in the dermis will slowly stretch as the body slowly grows. However, rapid body growth will lead to sudden stretching which causes the dermis to tear. Because of this tearing, there are deep layers of the skin that are visible. This can now be seen as a form of stretch marks.
Due to the pale fat beneath the skin which is becoming visible, the stretch marks will eventually fade to a glossy appearance, white or sometimes even silvery. With higher cortisone levels, it will become severe.
There are three layers of the skin but stretch marks can be found in the skin’s dermis or middle layer. This happens when the connective tissue is stretched beyond the limits of its elasticity. Like what we mentioned, it is due to the rapid expansion or contraction of the skin.
There are different reasons why stretch marks appear. This includes the following conditions:
Pregnancy. Since the skin stretches to make room for the baby, stretch marks would appear. The developing baby will grow bigger and bigger causing continuous stretching and tugging of the skin. Stretch marks appear during or after pregnancy.
Weight loss or weight gain. People who rapidly lose or gain weight will also see stretch marks on their body. Even teenagers will spot it on their skin after a sudden growth spurt.
Medical conditions: The are certain conditions that can cause stretch marks which includes Marfan syndrome, Cushing’s syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and other adrenal gland disorders. Marfan syndrome decreases the elasticity in the skin tissue, thus resulting in the appearance of stretch marks. Meanwhile, Cushing’s syndrome results in the production of too many hormones that leads to skin fragility and rapid weight gain.
Corticosteroid use: The prolonged use of corticosteroid creams, pills, and lotions can decrease levels of collagen in the skin. This collagen strengthens the skin and a reduced amount will decrease the skin’s ability to stretch and can increase the risk of stretch marks.
How to Diagnose It
It is easy and simple to diagnose stretch marks based on a skin examination as well as a review of a person’s medical history. The medical practitioner will ask questions based on the signs and symptoms on the skin. The doctor will also ask about certain medications that you are currently taking.
In truth, there is no need to worry since stretch marks are not dangerous and it will not cause medical problems. It may indicate an underlying medical issue but this is very rare. When this happens, it requires treatment or monitoring.
Who Are At Risk of Getting Them
Although stretch marks are common, there are people who are more at risk of getting them. These include:
- Women. More women get stretch marks than men even if they did not experience pregnancy yet. Most of these stretch marks may appear around the thigh.
- Pregnant women. Apparently, women who get pregnant will also acquire stretch marks since the tummy will grow bigger to make room for the developing baby. The stretching of the skin will result in stretch marks. Another reason why this is common in pregnant women is due to the surge of hormones that may weaken the skin fibers, thus leading to this condition. Women who are carrying twins or large babies are at greater risk for developing stretch marks. It is not only the tummy area that could get stretch marks but also any part of the body that becomes bigger during pregnancy. Once the baby is born, they will start to fade but lighter marks are still visible.
- Obese persons. Both men and women who are obese can also get these marks because of the stretching of the skin. Bodybuilders also get them on areas where their muscles increase in size.
- Growing teenagers. Puberty can also lead to the appearance of stretch marks since teens grow taller or may gain weight. The good thing about childhood marks is that these disappear when they get older. Inform your kids that this is normal and that they do not need to worry about it.
There are a number of risk factors that are associated with developing stretch marks. However, more research is still needed to gather more evidence about this. Other conditions that are a greater risk for developing stretch marks are the following:
- Caucasian people (due to pale skin)
- family history
- being pregnant
- dramatic weight loss or gain
- corticosteroid medications
- chronic diseases
- age-related changes in skin collagen
How to Prevent It
In truth, it is hard to prevent stretch marks since most of the time they appear unexpectedly. However, you can follow the tips below in order to reduce the risk:
- Maintain a healthy and normal weight. Whether you’re pregnant or not, maintaining a healthy weight will help you prevent stretch marks. When you gain weight, your skin will stretch resulting in these marks. Growth spurts during puberty and bodybuilders may also see stretch marks as a result of working out or using steroids.
- Stay hydrated. Drink six to eight glasses of water every day to keep your skin hydrated and soft. When your skin is soft, it doesn’t tend to develop stretch marks compared to dry skin. Caffeinated beverages, like coffee, can increase your risk of developing stretch marks. Hence, if you drink coffee regularly, you also need to take plenty of water, herbal tea, and other fluids that are free of caffeine.
- Eat a balanced diet. The lack of nutrition can also lead to the occurrence of stretch marks. Consume food that specifically contains Vitamins A and C since these can help support the skin. You should also eat foods that are rich in vitamin D, vitamin E, zinc, and protein. It is best to avoid eating processed foods.
- Include vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C helps develop collagen which keeps the skin elastic and strong. Because of this, vitamin C can help reduce wrinkles and may prevent the appearance of stretch marks. Consume fruits and vegetables containing Vitamin C like oranges and lemons.
- Go outdoors. Sunlight is a good source of vitamin D. It can help maintain healthy vitamin D levels in the body which may help reduce your risk of stretch marks. Aside from going outdoors for sunlight, you can also eat food that contains it like cereal, bread, and dairy products.
- Avoid long-term use of topical steroid. This also includes the ingestion of oral steroid drugs.
- Eat foods zinc-rich foods. Zinc is important for the skin since it helps reduce inflammation. It also plays a vital role in the wound healing process. Although there is very little evidence that zinc and stretch marks are connected, eating food that is rich in zinc like nuts and fish, may help keep your skin healthy.
Aside from the tips above, little can be done in preventing stretch marks from developing. But if you follow the tips, you might be able to reduce the risk of acquiring it. It is also best if you treat fresh stretch marks one they start appearing. You can also work on minimizing their appearance so they will no longer be noticeable. Consult your doctor for treatment options that will work best for you.
Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
Most people start treating their scars through home remedies. If you are looking for ways to do it, take a look below:
- Sugar. Using sugar is considered as a homeopathic microdermabrasion method. Microdermabrasion is performed by dermatologist to make stretch marks fade. It is said that rubbing sugar on the skin can help exfoliate the area which may lead to lighter color of the stretch marks. Here’s how you can do it using sugar:
Step 1. Prepare one cup sugar and 1/4 cup of a softening agent like almond oil or coconut oil. Mix them until you get the consistency of wet beach sand.
Step 2. Squeeze a lemon on the mixture or pour a lemon juice.
Step 3. Take a small portion of the mixture and use it to scrub the area with stretch marks.
Step 4. Repeat this process several times every week. Rub the mixture on the affected area for 8-10 minutes during shower.
- Aloe vera. Pure aloe vera is a natural healing agent. It is also known to help with the fast growth of hair and as a skin softener. Because of this, it is an ideal home remedy that you can try to treat your stretch marks. After a shower, simply apply pure aloe vera to the stretch marks every day.
- Coconut oil. This can help treat the appearance of stretch marks since studies indicate that it has healing properties. When tested in rats, it reduces the time it takes for skin wounds to heal. You can apply virgin coconut oil to your stretch marks daily to lessen their redness.
- Essential oils. There are certain essential oils that can reduce the visibility of stretch marks. This includes argan oil, bitter almond oil, lavender oil, bitter orange oil, neroli oil, patchouli oil, pomegranate oil, and Frankincense essential oil. You need to mix 15-30 drops of these essential oils with 1 ounce of carrier oils from coconut, grapeseed, jojoba oil, olive, sweet almond, and rosehip.
- Hyaluronic acid. This can be consumed as a capsule or as an extract. It works by helping your skin produce more collagen which makes it appear healthy.
Medical Treatments for Stretch Marks
There are several ways to improve the appearance of stretch marks. If home remedies do not work for you, you can consult your doctor who can give you an advice as to what medical procedures or treatments would be perfect for you. Here are some available options:
Topicals and Creams
- Tretinoin cream. This one is intended to restore your collagen. It works best on new stretch marks that are still red or pink. However, pregnant women are not allowed to use it. Users should also be aware that it might cause skin irritation.
- Retinoid cream. Since this is a topical medication that comes from vitamin A, it can help improve the appearance of your skin after applying retinoids. It is more effective if your stretch marks are relatively fresh. It also helps rebuild the collagen in your skin making the marks appear more like the rest of your skin.
- Glycolic acid creams and chemical peels. Most of the treatments that involve Glycolic acid are expensive. But they can help to lessen the appearance of stretch marks. are other treatments for stretch marks. However, they do not prevent new ones from forming.
- Collagen boosters. This includes StriVectin-SD and lupin seed extracts which could help increase collagen in your skin. However, it’s hard to say if they’ll fade or prevent stretch marks.
- Centella asiatica. This herbal oil is known to boosts cells in your body that make collagen and build up skin tissue. There are some people who use it to heal wounds. Centella asiatica is an ingredient in some over-the-counter skin creams for stretch marks.
- Bitter almond oil. Studies reveal that a woman who rubs the bitter almond oil on her belly has fewer stretch marks that those who do not use it.
- Pulsed dye laser therapy. This procedure encourages the growth of collagen and elastin. If you have new stretch marks, this therapy is a good choice. People with darker skins may experience skin discoloration.
- Microdermabrasion. This involves polishing the skin with tiny crystals in order to reveal a new skin under the elastic stretch marks. It can also help improve the appearance of older stretch marks.
- Fractional photothermolysis. This is similar to pulsed dye laser therapy but it works by targeting smaller areas of your skin which results in lesser skin damage.
- Excimer laser. This process stimulates skin color (melanin) production so that the color of the stretch marks and its surrounding skin are closer.
Medical procedures and prescription medicines are not guarantees that your stretch marks will be healed. Most of these are also very expensive. If you are pregnant or nursing, make sure that you consult your doctor first prior to using any creams or undergoing any procedure since it could be harmful to you and your baby.
How to Choose a Stretch Mark Cream
The skin is the largest organ of your body and it is just right to take good care of it. According to doctors and scientists, a significant portion of what you put on your skin gets absorbed directly into the bloodstream. That is why it is important that you choose your skin products really well. Here’s a guide on how to choose a stretch mark cream:
- Check the ingredients. See to it that it does not contain any artificial ingredients and chemicals that may harm your skin. Make sure that it only contains natural ingredients like antioxidants, botanical extracts, amino acids, vitamins, and naturally occurring proteins. Make it a habit to check the label before making any purchase.
The best stretch marks cream should contain the basic necessary ingredients which include Vitamin E, vitamins C, and glycolic acid. Avoid products with ingredients such as petroleum, mineral oil, parabens, and phthalates. These chemicals have some side-effects and might even cause cancer. You can also look for CoQ10, collagen, elastin, and soy since these can help to replenish what your skin might be lacking.
- Read reviews. Do your homework by researching the product. Check their website and read reviews about it there. Head over to Amazon and even forums where you can get an honest review about the cream. This way, you will be able to decide if it is a good product or not. Weigh things well by reading both positive and negative comments. You should also be careful since some reviews are fake or are merely paid by the manufacturers. It is better if you choose reviews with accompanying images or proofs about its effectiveness.
- Go for an established brand. When a brand is already established, many people are using it with a positive outcome. Also, you will be confident that these brands will not do anything to ruin their good name and reputation. Hence, they will do their best to deliver the best product to its consumers. For sure, you already know which ones are trusted in this market but despite that, you still need to recheck by researching about the product.
- Ask for recommendations. You can also ask your family and friends about their preference when it comes to stretch mark creams. Some of them might have tried using one and they can personally tell you about their experience and the outcome of their usage. Ask for the brand, research, then try it. If you feel itchy or uncomfortable using it, switch to another brand.
- Consult your doctor. Of course, the best step that you can take is to talk to your doctor about it. They can recommend what is best for you and your skin type. Dermatologists know which cream is better and they can provide you proper instructions on how to use them. Doctors can also prescribe stretch marks cream for pregnant and nursing women.
With this guide, you will be able to choose the best stretch mark cream for you. It is important to consider all this so that you won’t be wasting your money on products that are not effective.
What Should an Effective Cream Do?
Before you buy a stretch mark cream, bear in mind that none of this will work like magic. Every cure takes time before you can see any visible changes. Same is true with stretch mark scars especially that these are hard to remove and are most likely permanent on the skin. Most of the anti-scars cream in the market will merely decrease the look of the scars but they won’t totally disappear. However, some manufacturers claim that they can get rid of the stretch marks.
Although you already know what things to consider in choosing an effective cream, it is also imperative that you get some knowledge on what an effective cream can do. This will also help you choose the right product for you. So, how does a proper cream work? Take a look below:
- Increase collagen. A cream is effective if it can increase the production of collagen which firms the skin. Collagen, as well as elastin, are both proteins that are found in healthy skin. Aside from the skin’s firmness, it can also help it become more elastic to prevent stretch marks. Good elasticity will avoid tearing on the skin. The amount of collagen in the body decrease as one gets older. Hence, we can see wrinkles, sagging skin, and stretch marks. Using stretch marks cream can help you restore collagen on the skin.
- Lighten discoloration. Look for a cream that can speed up the skin’s cell turnover. This means that the old and weak skin will be brought to the surface and will be replaced by a healthier skin. With this, your stretch mark’s appearance will change and it will gradually lighten as you continue applying the cream of your choice. Retinoids and vitamins A and C can help stimulate the growth of new collagen. However, pregnant women are not allowed to use creams with retinoid.
- Improve skin condition. Aside from reducing the appearance of the stretch marks, it should improve the look and feel of your skin. Creams can keep your skin hydrated and lubricated which helps lessen the itchiness and even stretching. With this, the skin will look smoother and you will definitely feel better!
Most stretch marks will eventually fade from a dark color to a lighter one. However, doctors recommend to treat it while it is still new or it’s on its reddish phase. The application of cream vary from one product to another. But the only way for it to be effective is to use it consistently and to read the directions that comes with every product. Following the instructions on its proper usage and application will make it more effective.
1/ What do they look like?
Stretch marks are easy to spot. They are streaky lines in your skin that come in different colors from red or pink to purplish-blue to white.
2/ Where are stretch marks usually found?
Most of the time, you can spot stretch marks on your arms, breasts, back, buttocks, stomach, shoulders, hips, and torso.
3/ What is the prognosis of stretch marks?
The appearance of stretch marks typically improves with time. Most of the time, treatment is not required to get rid of them. However, even if the striae mature and become less apparent, they rarely disappear. Those who acquire it doesn’t need to worry since stretch marks are not risky to one’s health. This is associated with pregnancy due to pelvic relaxation which results in the prolapse of the pelvic organs with advancing age. Other medical associations like endocrinologic diseases such as Cushing’s syndrome have not been determined yet.
4/ What are risk factors for stretch marks?
Pregnancy and excessive rapid weight gain are the two most common risk factors. Aside from this, it also includes conditions that predispose the skin to developing stretch marks.
5/ Are stretch marks permanent?
Yes, stretch marks are permanent just like any scar. But treatment may make them less noticeable and can help alleviate the itch. It also depends on how sever your scars are. Most of the time, newer stretch marks are easier to heal than those which has been on the skin for a long time. Hence, it is best to treat it earlier if you want to get rid of it or reduce its discoloration.
6/When should I seek a dermatologist’s expertise?
Although stretch marks disappear through time, there are some people who really wants to get rid of them. If you are one of them, you have probably tried creams and other treatments. If all these does not work for you, consult a board-certified dermatologist who can perform in-office procedures that are more effective than topicals like creams, gels, and lotions. Dermatologists are also aware about any new product or procedure that may suit you.
7/ What can I do to treat stretch marks?
You can try different products and procedures that claim to remove stretch marks. You may also start treating it by moisturizing your skin to relieve the itchiness of stretch marks. The color of your stretch marks can be minimized by applying self-tanning lotion.
8/ Why should I choose stretch mark creams over other treatments?
Yes, there are different ways to heal stretch marks but using anti-stretch marks cream will save you from spending too much money to get rid of it. In short, it is one of the cheapest treatment that you can do.
9/ Are there side effects from using stretch mark creams?
It depends on the stretch mark cream and on the sensitivity of your skin. That is why it is highly recommended that you review all the ingredients before using it. It is even better if you consult a doctor.
10/ Can I get rid of stretch marks quickly?
It depends on the treatment method you will use. Whatever you choose, make sure that you follow a skin-nourishing diet while maintaining your weight. If you are using a stretch marks cream, use it for a couple of months until you see visible results.